Thursday, June 5, 2014


My family is Italian, so I feel comfortable cooking Italian food.
I grew up in New Mexico, so I feel confident cooking Mexican food.
In no way, shape or form do I have any ties to Asian Pacific culture whatsoever, therefore I feel like a real fish out of water cooking with Asian flavors. (No, pun intended for this recipe! LOL.)


Allow me to explain.
I love Asian food.
I've never been to Asia - unless Tahiti counts? No? Okay moving on… - but I'm sure it's lovely.
I could easily eat my body weight in sushi bathed in wasabi, soy sauce, duck sauce and all of the above, but when it comes to making Asian flavored dishes at home, I'm scared stiff.

Rewind to last night. I knew I wanted to make salmon cakes, but I wasn't sure which direction to take them.


There's the old salmon, lemon and dill standby that everyone has tasted over and over again.
I was craving something different.
Something exotic. Something that would surprise even me.

That's when I decided to put my big girl pants on and brave the Asian spice aisle. 
This happened next…

YOU WILL NEED
1/2 lb of fresh boneless salmon (cooked)
1 egg
2 cups of panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup of diced spring onions
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp of salmon fish rub (I used one with paprika, brown sugar and thyme as the primary ingredients)
1/4 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp coconut oil

NOTE: I bought the Ginger Miso Dressing pre-packaged. The primary ingredients were ginger, sweet carrot juice, miso, garlic and sesame oil. It was super-yummy!

GET COOKIN'
  1. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a medium frying pan.
  2. Use a fork to scrape the salmon meat off of the cooked filet. Be sure to avoid any bones.
  3. Add the salmon meat, egg, 1 cup of panko bread crumbs, the toasted sesame seeds, spring onions, sea salt, 1 tbsp of salmon fish rub and the orange zest to a large bowl and mix together for 2-3 minutes.
  4. On a flat plate pour the other cup of panko bread crumbs and the second tbsp of salmon fish rub out, then use a fork to mix them together.
  5. Use your hands to create a patty out of the salmon cake mix.
  6. When your patty is formed lay it in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating both sides.
  7. Gently lay the first patty into the hot coconut oil.
  8. Cook on one side over medium-high heat for 1 minute, then flip to the second side and cook for another minute. Be sure the outer crust has browned.
  9. Transfer your cooked salmon cakes to a paper towel-lined plate and allow any excess oil to drain off.
  10. Repeat until all patties are cooked. You will likely need to refill the pan with the second tbsp of coconut oil by the end of the second or third patty.
  11. Serve with your Ginger Miso Dressing or another Asian flavored dressing of your choice.
I realize these are not hard-core Asia Pacific flavors. In fact these are probably the most introductory flavors one can find. But I hope you'll join me as I attempt to become more adventurous in the kitchen this summer. 

Cheers, Yummies!
xoxo 




Tagged:

6 comments:

  1. I am blown away by this. Beautiful! Love the bread crumbs and sesame so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Quote from the hubby "These are, like, restaurant quality!" I'm calling that a win! xo

      Delete
  2. I love Asian food too. We actually live in NYC's China town, so there's definitely no shortage of it. I'm a gonna pin this 'cause I'd love to try it. Thanks Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! You are so lucky you live so close to many wonderful Asian flavors! :) I miss NY.

      Delete
  3. my husband would love this, another pinner :) and your photos are to die for! xo, jess @ www.dreamingofleaving.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. I hope you enjoy them. :)

      Delete