Tuesday, June 3, 2014



Truth. Bloggers learn best from fellow bloggers.
Even more truth. Most of what we know we learned from Ree.
You see Ree is The Pioneer Woman in more ways than one.
Sure, that's her blog title, her brand, and now her empire.
But she's so much more than that.

Ree is that voice inside every food blogger's head that tells them "You can do this."
She's America y'all.
And not just because she rides horses and lives on a ranch and makes a mean meatloaf.
She's the embodiment of the American Dream come true.
That dream we all have of working hard every day towards a better life for our families.
That dream we all have of never being able to call in sick because we are the boss and the kitchen is our office.
That dream we all have of eating cookie dough in our pajamas while watching black & white movies in the middle of the day and calling it work.
That dream.


I've only been doing this a short time.
Okay, I've only been taking this seriously for a short time.
I first started three years ago when I was bored in a cubicle one day and decided "Hey, a blog might help pass the next 7 1/2 hours. How about a blog?"
I didn't have the whole "Hey, maybe this blogging thing could turn into a full-time career..." conversation until 9 months ago.
I know. I've always been the last one to get the joke. Slow roller over here.
Although I am still semi-new to blogging as a business, and although I am slow to pick up on things, there was one thing I was 100% certain of, Ree.

I've never met her.
I hope to one day.
Until then I am taking her advice and following her lead day by day in the hopes that I too can be a Pioneer Woman in my own way.

For now, I'm putting my own little spin on Ree's Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies - and reverting back to  my 10 year old self - with my favorite instant strawberry oatmeal.


YOU WILL NEED

1 cup of softened butter
2 cups of dark brown sugar
2 tsp of vanilla extract
2 whole eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups of instant strawberry oatmeal (about 6 packets)

GET COOKIN
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In one bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth.
  3. Add the vanilla and egg to the butter and beat again for two minutes.
  4. In another bowl sift together the flour and baking soda.
  5. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the batter and beat until smooth.
  6. When the dough is smooth add the oatmeal packets and use your hands to work the oats into the dough.
  7. When the oats are worked into the dough add a spoonful at a time to a greased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake your cookies at 350 for 12 minutes.

The bulk of this recipe is exactly like Ree's, I left out the salt and obviously used instant strawberry oatmeal packets instead of plain oats.

I hope you enjoy both recipes if you decide to try them!

Oh, and Ree, I totes took a bite of the dough after the second step…and the fifth…and the seventh…and I did hate myself a little bit afterwards. But it was worth it.

Big hugs!
xoxo


4 comments:

  1. Great post Megan! It's true that us bloggers learn so much from each other. I've only been blogging for a few months and have already learned so much from the community. As for that American dream...not there yet, but I sure am determined to get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I know what you mean. We'd all love to get rich off of our blogging dreams, but it take a tons of patience and luck! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I wanna make these!! I, too, am a HUGE fan of Ree even before she got famous lol..I hope to meet her one day also!

    I love your twist on these cookies..Just found your blog & it's fantastic!! Hope to catch up around here soon! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these with peaches n cream and they are amazing! Buttery and chewy with a crispy edge! Soooo good! Will make again.

    ReplyDelete