Saturday, May 17, 2014


I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I. Do. Not. Bake.
I'm such an amateur (at best) with the baked goods.
I don't know measurements by heart.
I don't have the patience to wait for things to rise, firm, chill, etc.
I love being able to throw ingredients together on a stove or grill, and then eat them 20-30 minutes later.
Baking takes mad skillz, y'all, that's why I'm so impressed by the people who dedicate their blogs to this particular medium of cooking.
Not to be one who gives up on a challenge, I have decided to force myself to bake more often.
At least once a week…month…we'll see how this goes.


I was at the gym yesterday when the inspiration for a tart hit me.
I know. "The gym?!" Believe it or not, I do my best recipe brain storming on a treadmill.
I was watching an episode of The Kitchen, when I saw Geoffrey Zakarian make his famous Lemon Tart. (Psst... Geoffrey used store-bought dough, so I feel like a bit of a rockstar already for making my own!)
G.Z.'s tart looked simple enough.
I didn't have lemons so I improvised and used ruby red grapefruit. Plus lemon tarts have been done to death!
Since I'm no whiz at tart dough, I seeked advice from those age-old baking masters at Williams Sonoma and totally bogarted their basic tart dough recipe for this dish. My contribution is the addition of freshly chopped rosemary you'll see in the ingredients below.
The result?
Tart-tastic, Yummies! I hope you'll explore tart making and share your dishes with us.


YOU WILL NEED

Dough

1 egg yolk
2 tbsp very cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) of cold unsalted butter
1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary

Filling

1/2 cup of grapefruit juice
3 large eggs
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
6 tbsp butter
20-25 slices of ruby red grapefruit


GET COOKIN'
  1. Prep your dough first.
  2. In one bowl whisk together the eggs, water and vanilla then set aside.
  3. In another bowl stir together the flour, sugar, salt and rosemary.
  4. Cut the butter into 1/4 inch cubes.
  5. Add the butter cubes to the flour and "cut" into the mixture until the dough resembles a cornmeal texture.
  6. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and work to form a dough.
  7. Roll the dough out onto a flour-dusted work space and flatten it into a disc.
  8. Wrap the disc in saran wrap and chill for 30 minutes. 
  9. When it is chilled remove the dough from the fridge.
  10. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  11. Roll the dough out onto your work space and make your tart shell.
  12. Spray your tart baking dish with non-stick spray.
  13. Press the rolled dough into the base of your tart baking dish.
  14. Prick all over the base of the tart dough with a fork to allow the air to pass through during baking.
  15. Bake the dough at 350 for 25-30 minutes until it is golden brown and firm.
  16. Remove the baked shell from the oven and allow to cool before filling.
  17. When your tart crust is ready prep your filling.
  18. Heat the grapefruit juice in a small saucepan over medium low heat.
  19. Allow the juice to come to a slow boil before removing it from the heat.
  20. Whisk the eggs, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl until the sugar melts and it well-combined.
  21. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the warm grapefruit juice, and whisk it constantly as you combine the two.
  22. Cook the egg mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
  23. When time is up remove the mixture from the stove and slowly stir in the butter. It should be cut into 1/4 cubes like the butter for the dough was.
  24. Allow the filling to thicken while you stir in the melted butter.
  25. Once the butter is melted, run the filling through a fine mesh sieve and pour it into the tart crust.
  26. Add your grapefruit slices to the top of the tart.
  27. Refrigerate your tart for 3-5 hours so it will firm up. (Honestly, I let mine set overnight.)
  28. Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary when you are ready to serve.


I know. It seems like a lot compared to my other recipes, but it is SO worth it.
Enjoy, Yummies!
xoxo


Tagged: , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Well for someone that doesn't bake, you did awesome and nailed it with this tart. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It was quite a feat! LOL!

      Delete