Have you noticed?
Are you sick of me babbling about brunch already?
It's here to stay, so get good with it, Yummies.
This brunch dish is especially special (ha - especially special, it's like the same word twice, only…well…you get it…)
This Caprese Breakfast Casserole embodies, what I believe to be, the sanctity of America. It's the representation of the cultural melting pot that is the United States. It's the best flavors of Italy enwrapped in the simple Americana of potatoes and eggs.
Simple, yet complicated.
Sophisticated, yet homely.
It's yesterday's brunch.
YOU WILL NEED
1 bag (about 3 cups) of frozen tater tots.
2 cups of cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup of chopped basil
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
*NOTE: You can add about 1 cup of cooked sausage to this as well if you'd like to "beef" it up a bit!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray your a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer the potatoes along the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the tomatoes and basil over the tops of the potatoes.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour the eggs over the casserole and toss all of the ingredients until everything is coated with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 375 for 20-30 minutes, until the eggs begin to bubble and the top of the casserole browns and crisps.
If this baby can't make your breakfast table and brighter, happier and more sophisticated place, I just don't know what will!