Thursday, April 10, 2014




They're pretty aren't they?

This recipe required I put my fancy-pants on and bake my bootie off.

Confession: I hate to bake! I think perhaps I have confessed this mind-blowing fact before, but in case you missed it here is it again in all it's gory glory.

I. Hate. To. Bake.

I probably should have named this blog IAmNotBaker. Fans of IAmBaker will get it. She's the baked-bakery-baking bomb. I am not. Baking requires and inherent amount on patience which I do not have. Don't get me wrong. I love to cook, grill, sauté, boil, braise, butter and blend. But bake? Ugh, no thanks.

However, as a food blogger I have to make nice with my mixer every once-in-a-while. This recipe is an instance where ol' Mixie and I kissed and made up in order to provide my pops with a pretty outrageous birthday treat.


YOU WILL NEED

1 box of German chocolate cake mix
3 large eggs
1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of Grand Marnier orange flavored liqueur

**NOTE: This recipe uses yogurt and makes a denser version of the cake so you can dip it into the Grand Marnier and absorb the flavor.

Icing
1 cup of evaporated milk
1 cup of brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of flaked coconut

1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar for garnish

GET COOKIN'
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Add the cake mix, eggs, yogurt and water to a bowl and mix together until smooth.
  3. Spoon the cake mix into cupcake tins until each tin is half full.
  4. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until cakes are firm.
  5. Remove from the oven and set cakes on a cooling rack.
  6. While the cakes are baking and cooling prepare the icing.
  7. Add the evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and egg yolks to a stovetop pot and cook until smooth.
  8. Pour the heated icing over the coconut and toss until well incorporated.
  9. When cakes have cooled cut the "muffin tops" off of each cupcake, leaving just the base.
  10. Dip the top of each base into the Grand Marnier liqueur until it absorbs desired amount. (Do not allow the cake to become soggy, just dip it long enough to absorb about 1/4-1/2 tsp.)
  11. Add a spoonful of room temperature icing to the top of one cupcake, then invert another cupcake on top of it to form a cake bomb.
  12. Add another spoonful of icing to the top of each cake bomb.
  13. Garnish platter with a dusting of confectioner's sugar.

Like I said. I hate to bake, but somehow it always ends up being worth the headache.

Bombs away, Yummies. 

xoxo






Tagged: ,

2 comments:

  1. You bake like a baker... just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I do not! A true baker would never used boxed cake mix. I hang my head in shame. But they did taste yummy! :)

      Delete