As you can imagine images of ooey, gooey, crisp and buttery sammies have haunted me for weeks.
Seriously, I've craved a grilled cheese sandwich at least 17 times since April 1. So, today I decided to beat back my cravings in drastic fashion.
I assure you, this little madame is worth every penny.
1 tbsp of whole grain mustard
3 slices of bacon diced into large chunks
4 spears of fresh asparagus
3 slices of smoked gouda
- Take the diced bacon and cook it over medium-high heat until it browns and crisps.
- When the bacon is ready use a slotted spoon or spatula and scoop the bacon onto a paper-towel-lined plate so the excess grease will drain off.
- Snap the tough ends off of the bottoms of each asparagus spear (about 1 inch up the stalk).
- Reduce the heat on the bacon grease in the pan and add your asparagus spears.
- Cook the asparagus spears in the bacon grease until it is tender.
- When the asparagus is ready remove it from the grease and set it on the same paper-towel-lined plate to allow the excess grease to drain off.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain off any pools of bacon grease, but do not clean the pan, allow there to be a layer of bacon grease on the bottom of the pan.
- Prep your sandwich by spreading the mustard on each slice of bread.
- Add a slice of smoked gouda on top of the mustard on each slice of bread.
- Lay the asparagus spears on one side of the sandwich, and the bacon on the other side of the sandwich.
- Lay the third slice of cheese between the bacon and asparagus and close the sandwich.
- Put the bacon pan back on medium-low heat.
- When it is warm, lay the sandwich in the bacon pan and allow it to brown on one side (about 1 minute) the flip to the other side.
- Cut in half and serve.
Happy National Grilled Cheese Month, Yummies.