Monday, March 10, 2014

  • This post was created as part of the #MushroomMakeover 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge in which I am a financially compensated blogger ambassador for the Mushroom Council. The opinions are my own and based on my own experience. 

Brace yourselves Yummies. We're about to enter into a delicious new world of mushroom munchies!

Yumology has been selected by Mamavation and The Mushroom Council (AD), to participate in a 30 day weight-loss challenge whereby we swap mushrooms and a bounty of fresh ingredients for meat and all those nasty processed foods that have been making our jeans too tight.

I can't tell you how friggin excited I am about this. Not only do I get to whip-up some healthy new recipes for all of you, I get to work with a butt-kicking personal trainer, Mark Segedie, and the all-knowing nutrition guru, Corrine Dobbas. Can we say AWESOME?!

So let's get started…

WEIGHT LOSS

I'll start each weekly Mushroom Makeover post with an update on my weight loss. Totally oversharing. I know. But I feel it's important for me to be honest with you about just how effective this whole process is. Transformation is one of the spirit animals of this journey we're about to take together and I need you to trust that I'll be honest with you. So… reluctantly…. I am sharing my first weigh in now.

March 10
 137 lbs.

Yikes! Scary to see that on the internet. Written in pen. Forevs. More motivation for moi I suppose? I don't know, I'm too mortified to speak right now.

Okay, so Mark gave us a great series of workouts he wants us to complete every day. Such a butt-kicker! Because I'm uber-invested in this, I am also trying to run at least 2.5 miles a day on top of Mark's workout regimen. That's important to keep in mind as we, hopefully, see results.


MUSHROOM RECIPES

Mushrooms are truly magnificent little creatures. They're so diverse! I had no idea just how diverse until I was able to come up with four mushroom recipes a week. Here are the recipes for week one.


ONE
Mushroom and Garlic Sunflower Salad

1 head of fresh romaine lettuce
1/2 cup of sliced white button mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
  1. Slice the romaine julienne cut.
  2. Add the olive oil, mushrooms, garlic and spices to a frying pan and sauté until the mushrooms are soft.
  3. Pour the entire contents of the frying pan over the romaine.
  4. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top and serve.




TWO
 Mushroom and Kale Egg White Cups

1 large purple kale leaf
3 slices of white mushrooms
2 large egg-whites
1/4 tsp salt, papper and garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Brush the kale leaf with olive oil and press it into a cupcake tin.
  3. Stack the mushroom slices in the middle of the kale leaf and press down into the cup.
  4. Mix the spices and egg whites together, then pour them over the mushrooms into the kale leaf.
  5. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, until the egg whites firm and the leaf crisps.


THREE
Cashew Mushroom Slaw

1 cup of chopped button mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes
2 tbsp chopped cashews
2 cups of sliced red cabbage
1 cup of shredded carrots
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  1. Add the mushrooms and olive oil to a pan and cook until the mushrooms soften.
  2. Add the spices to the mushrooms and stir.
  3. Add the cabbage, carrots and apple cider vinegar to a large bowl and toss.
  4. Combine the mushrooms and cabbage-carrot mix and toss everything together.
  5. Sprinkle the chopped cashews on top and toss one more time.
  6. Allow to sit in the fridge for 30-40 minutes then serve.


FOUR
Cherry Tomato and Green Onion Mushroom Salad

1 cup of diced button mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup of sliced green onion
1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
  1. Add the mushrooms, olive oil and minced garlic to a pan and cook until the mushrooms are soft.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl and stir together.
  3. Pour to cooked mushrooms over the tomato mix and toss together, then serve.


So there you have it Yummies, the first Mushroom Makeover Monday post. I hope you will follow along and try these recipes throughout your busy week ahead. I promise they're easier and faster to make than many meat recipes we've shared with you before.

It's important to note that the mushroom recipes above are not the only recipes being used in the Mushroom Makeover. Corrine has armed us with a wealth of information and healthy eating tips I plan to use in many of the blog posts you'll see within the next 30 days. So stay tuned! Healthy yumminess ahead!

Don't forget to share thoughts and comments below, but please know anything written regarding the Mushroom Makeover is up for grabs and can be used by our friends at Mamavation and/or The Mushroom Council in their promotion of the program.

  • This post was created as part of the #MushroomMakeover 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge in which I am a financially compensated blogger ambassador for the Mushroom Council. The opinions are my own and based on my own experience. 

Tagged:

2 comments:

  1. Love the egg cup idea! How brave of you to put your weight out there, haha. I don't think I'll do that until my last post but I *did* take a "Before" picture. Yikes on that one!

    Looking forward to seeing all your creations Megan! I'm posting mine as recaps of the previous week's meals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured if I put my weight out there it would inspire me to bring it down every week! Nothing like accountability. :) Cant' wait to see what you come up with Minerva. :)

      Delete