Monday, March 31, 2014


  • This post was created as part of the #MushroomMakeover 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge in which I am a financially compensated blogger ambassador for the Mushroom Council. The opinions are my own and based on my own experience. 
It's hard to believe the Mushroom Makeover is coming to a close.  It has been an amazing four weeks in which I have learned so much about my profession, my body and my ability to adapt. I will forever be grateful to Mark, Corinne and Leah for engaging me in this campaign with Mamavation and The Mushroom Council (AD).

I hope that many of you have also chosen to explore the wonderful world of mushrooms and experienced the many benefits they provide. On average mushrooms have 90 percent fewer calories than ground meat. You can even blend mushrooms into meat dishes as a way to maintain the meat flavor and composition, but cut the calories and encourage a sense of fullness. While we chose to concoct primarily vegetarian recipes for the Mushroom Makeover challenge, many of our colleagues did use the blendability method with great success.

Fullness was a big part of the Mushroom Makeover. Corinne has been an excellent sounding board for any nutritional questions during the campaign. She strongly stressed drinking water throughout the day and eating lots of vegetables (which contain water) to make ourselves feel fuller throughout the day without the calorie intake.

WEIGHT LOSS

As many of you know, the food was only 50% of the challenge. The other half was a dedication to fitness and working out daily with Mark Segedie. I LOVED Mark's workouts. They were built on a simple and effective approach to fitness that makes health feel accessible to everyone. I was never intimidated, never discouraged but always felt the results in my muscles as well as in my attitude. My moods improved after Mark's workouts and Corrine's tips.

I made myself accountable by sharing my weekly weigh-in with all of you every Monday and today I share my final result…

March 31
134 lbs

I lost three pounds. I know that's not a ton, but I'll say again, it's how I feel that's so important. I feel stronger mentally and physically and the number above is one I can say I am proud of.

MUSHROOM RECIPES


ONE
Baked Mushroom Chips

1 thinly sliced portobello mushroom
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Slice the portobello mushroom cap into 1/4 inch thin slices.
  3. Add the olive oil to one plate and the parmesan cheese to another.
  4. Dip the slices of portobello in the oil, then roll them in the parmesan cheese until well coated.
  5. Lay the coated mushroom slices on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes until crisp.
  6. Remove and serve with ranch or any dip you'd like.



TWO
Portobello Mushroom and Brown Rice Bowl

1 cup of brown rice
1 portobello mushroom cap diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves

  1. Cook the rice as directed on the packaging.
  2. Add the oil to a frying pan, allow it to heat then add the mushrooms, garlic powder and salt.
  3. Toss the fresh thyme leaves into the cooked mushrooms and pour the entire contents of the frying pan over the rice.
  4. Garnish with extra springs of thyme if desired.


THREE
Mushroom Fajitas

2 tbsp olive oil
1 sliced portobello mushroom cap
1 sliced orange bell pepper
1/2 of a red onion sliced
1 fresh jalapeño seeded, de-veined and sliced thin
1 lime juiced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

  1. Add the oil to a large frying pan and let it heat.
  2. Toss all of the veggies into the oil and allow them to cook until soft.
  3. Sprinkle the seasoning over the veggies and toss everything together.
  4. Squeeze the lime juice over the fajitas right before you remove them from the heat.
  5. Serve with tortillas or eat as-is.



FOUR
Mushroom and Pea Gazpacho Soup

2 cups of cooked peas
1 cup of diced cooked portobello mushroom
2 tsps balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of chopped cucumber
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 lime juiced
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 garlic clove minced

  1. As simple as adding all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulsing until smooth.
  2. Cover and chill for 2 hours or up to overnight for the best and most flavorful results.


All in all I'm calling the Mushroom Makeover a HUGE success. I hope you have all enjoyed taking this journey with me. I'd love to know your thoughts on the recipes, workouts and wellness tips below, but please know anything written regarding the Mushroom Makeover is up for grabs and can be used by our friends at Mamavation and/or The Mushroom Council in their promotion of the program.
  • This post was created as part of the #MushroomMakeover 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge in which I am a financially compensated blogger ambassador for the Mushroom Council. The opinions are my own and based on my own experience. 

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment