Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Blush...

One of our favorite British imports, Culinary Ginger, has nominated us for a Liebster Award. Apparently it's a torch passed throughout the blogging community as a way for fellow bloggers to recognize excellence in one another and get the dirt on how and why we all entered into this crazy business of blogging anyway.

Here are the rules of the Liebster Award nominations:
  1. Thank the blogger who presented you with the Liebster Award and provide a link back to his or her blog. 
  2. Answer the questions from the nominator, list 11 random facts about yourself, and create 11 questions for your nominees.
  3. Present the Liebster Award to several other bloggers who have blogs whom you feel deserve to be noticed. Leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been nominated or email them.
  4. Upload the Liebster Award image to your blog.
So kick your feet up, grab a glass of vino and let's dish. Here's are some bite-sized tidbits on moi you may or may not know…



11 QUESTIONS POSED TO YUMOLOGY FROM CULINARY GINGER

1.  Why did you start blogging?
You're going to laugh… I began Yumology in 2011 when I was bored at work one day. Seriously. That's how it happened. I had the world's dullest job, and after checking my email for the 900th time in an hour I decided a blog was a good way to waste company time. I decided a food blog was best since I like to cook and I like to eat and I could dream up new recipes while everyone else was in line at the vending machines. 'Merica. Love it.

2.  If you could live one day over, what day would it be?
Our first day in New York City after we moved there for grad school. CoffeeMaker and I were fresh out of college and we moved to the city the day of the massive East Coast blackout. We had no furniture, no air conditioning, no food in an empty, over-priced studio apartment, but for some reason the possibilities seemed endless and we knew life would never be boring.

3. What is your dream vacation?
Eating, cooking and blogging my way across Europe with CoffeeMaker and ToddlerBaby in tow.

4. What sound or noise do you love?
CoffeeMaker's coffee pot brewing in the morning and ToddlerBaby's laugh. They're both equally important to my mental and physical well-being.

5. What's your favorite animal?
There are currently three resident fur balls in this household and they are all my favorite animal. Seriously, whatever comes out of the vacuum cleaner often resembles what these three would look like if they all became one.

6. Where do you like to travel?
Domestically, I find the mountains of Colorado especially therapeutic. Like soul food for the soul. Internationally it's tough to find anywhere as beautiful, elegant and delicious as Italy.

7. What is your favorite way to relax?
Sitting outside with CoffeeMaker and a tall glass of wine after ToddlerBaby has finally conked out.

8. What is your favorite food?
I don't think this is a fair question for a food blogger. That's like asking a parent which child they love the most. I love them all equally.

9. What is your favorite movie?
I have many favorites but my go-to-can-watch-it-anytime-anywhere-with anyone-and quote-every single line-from it-forwards-backwards-sideways-and in-my-sleep movie is Almost Famous.

10. Tea or coffee?
Again, I love all my food babies equally.

11.Who do you idolize?
I assume we're working within the writing/cooking/photographing/blogging category here so I'll refrain from worshipping at the Hollywood altar for now. It's an interesting question because CoffeeMaker has often asked me where this is all going. What do I want Yumology to be? What will it stand for? What is the end goal? I wasn't quite sure how I wanted my blogging career to shake-out until I discovered two beautiful blogs that gave me this renewed sense of purpose and hope. If I can live in a space as beautiful, elegant and powerful as Mimi Thorisson and her Manger blog I will die a happy woman. If I can have exotic travel experiences and interact with people as dynamic as Elizabeth Minchilli of Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome my life will truly have been blessed. These women and the beautiful spaces they have created in this world are daily inspirations for me.


11 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME

ONE
Once upon a time I was an actress. Yep. Look it up. I spent my first year out of high-school at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York. Then I moved to San Diego and worked in LA. I had bit parts (emphasis on the word "bit") in Steven Spielberg's Catch Me If You Can, Hannibal. HBO's Carnivale and I was one of the lead's in a sketch comedy show that I'm pretty sure still airs around 3:00 a.m. on a local San Diego TV station. 

TWO
CoffeeMaker and I are high school sweethearts. We started dating when I was 14 and never looked back. It will be 17 years since our first date on March 15. Poor bastard has been buying me meals ever since.

THREE
My Mum is British and my dad is American. I guess in Harry Potter speak that makes me a Mud-Blood.

FOUR
I love doing the dishes but I hate doing the laundry. Seriously, if I could just buy new clothes once a week life would be epic.

FIVE
My body physically craves vegetables. I don't know what random genetic mutation I acquired, but somewhere something went terribly wrong.

SIX
I bite my nails. Bad. I know…

SEVEN
I like the quiet. I must have been a Buddhist in another life because I could sit in silence forever. 

EIGHT
I lost my seventh grade spelling bee for misspelling "barnacle." Barnickle? Baneckle? The scar runs deep.

NINE
I've had like a BaZilliOn jobs, but one of my favorites was coaching high school tennis in Albuquerque. I lead a team of misfits to the state tournament. We didn't take home a trophy but it was a special time nonetheless.

TEN
I was afraid of the dark up until I was 31. Wait

ELEVEN
I have three tattoos, each one represents places I have travelled. I need to get like five more if I want to keep up this trend, but I am running out of respectable real estate.


MY NOMINATIONS FOR THE LIEBSTER AWARD

  1. Sara at Simply Happenstance/Nicole at Simply Happenstance
  2. Kristina at SpaBettie
  3. Minerva at Much Ado About Fooding
  4. Elana at Stir & Strain
  5. Cat at Mom on the Range

11 QUESTIONS FOR MY NOMINEES

1. What was the last thing you ate?
2. If you could describe your blog in one word what word would it be?
3. If you could have dinner with one person, just you and that person, who would it be?
4. What's your favorite meal of the day?
5. Why do you blog?
6. Here's a million dollars. How will you spend it?
7. Here's ten dollars. How will you spend it?
8. Who would you call if you were in jail?
9. What song best represents your life soundtrack?
10. If you were a cocktail what would you be and why?
11. How did you come up with your blog's title?


Tagged:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for tagging me :)! I love Manger too - everything in her life seems SO beautiful. Also, you should've posted images of your tattoos in your random facts area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! No I'll keep them to myself for now. :) I shared my weight last week, things are getting uber personal on here! LOL!

      Delete