Sunday, March 30, 2014



I'm a little foil-obsessed lately. I'm wrapping everything in it. Bread, meat, birthday presents, you name it.

I know many people smoke, grill, or even slow cook their ribs, but for me, the method of wrapping them in foil and baking them slowly over low heat has resulted in some of the most tender and delicious ribs I've ever had.

Believe it or not I first came across this method for cooking ribs while we were camping in the mountains of Arizona. I had a rack of ribs and we had a pile of hot coals from the fire the night before. I  rubbed the ribs in a variety of spices, then wrapped them up in a about five layers of foil and buried them in the hot coals.

After five hours of swimming in the lake, and a long drive back to the campsite, we exited the car to the most flavorful smell ever. The ribs melted, seriously Yummies, MELTED, off the bone. It was incredible.

While I don't always have a pile of hot coals at my disposal, I do have my oven, and that's the next best thing for these fall-off-the-bone, melt-in-your-mouth ribs.


YOU WILL NEED

1 rack of ribs
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried thyme
3 fresh bundles of thyme leaves

GET COOKIN

  1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Pull out a sheet of foil and set the ribs on top.
  3. Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel.
  4. Mix all of the spices together in a bowl or cup.
  5. Sprinkle half of the spice mix to the top of the ribs, then flip the rack over and sprinkle the other half on the back.
  6. At this point you can decide whether you want to actually massage the spices into the meat. I tend to just let the spices sit on top of mine to form a nice thick crust and not lose any of the spices on my hands in the massaging process.
  7. Lay the fresh thyme leaves on top of the ribs.
  8. Wrap the entire rack of ribs in three-four layers of foil. Make sure it is completely covered.
  9. Set the rack on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 3-4 hours.
  10. You'll know the ribs are done when there a no more juices bubbling in the foil. Ideally you want the ribs to steam, release their juices, then re-absorb them in the cooking process.
  11. Discard the thyme stems and serve.


So whether your camping in the woods or BBQ-ing in your backyard, be sure to wrap your ribs up tight and cook 'em low and slow!

xoxo

Tagged: ,

2 comments:

  1. This definitely looks out of this world. I currently have some boneless short ribs slow cooking right now. I can't wait to dig in. Your recipe is next on my list of rib recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! Let me know how you like them :)

      Delete