It was CoffeeMaker's birthday on Saturday and instead of his traditional RainbowChip cake, yes, he loves a RainbowChip cake - he's turning seven by the way - anyway - instead of making his usual RainbowChip cake I decided to fancy it up a little bit and made him this decadent Orange Champagne Crackle Cake.
Sounds complicated, but I promise, it's so so so easy.
YOU WILL NEED
1 box of orange cake mix
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of champagne
2 cups of white chocolate chips
1 cup of cream cheese icing
- Preheat your oven to 350 as directed on the box.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed, but you will substitute champagne for water.
- Add the white chocolate chips to the cake mix.
- Spray the bundt pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour the cake mix into a bundt pan, your chocolate chips will sink to the bottom (or top) of the cake but that's okay!
- Bake as directed (approx. 35 minutes at 350).
- Remove from oven and flip baked cake onto a cooling rack.
- Allow the cake to cool a little bit but while it is still warm and the chocolate chips are still somewhat melted begin to ice the cake.
- The icing will melt slightly and drip under the cooling rack, but that's okay!
- The icing will begin to mix with the melted chocolate chips on the top and it will form a crackle crust on top of the cake.
I know it sounds like this is a kitchen nightmare and many of these steps go against everything you've ever learned about baking. I'm sure food bloggers everywhere let out a silent scream when I said "boxed cake mix" and "ice while warm" - WHAAA?! BUT but I swear the flavor, texture and appearance of the cake is beautiful and delicious!