Tuesday, December 3, 2013


I have to warn you, this is one of those recipes that just cooks itself. I mean, I don't think I truly measure ANY of the ingredients in this before they get thrown into the pot. I've been making this posole for so long I could cook it blindfolded, backwards, singing "Annie Get Your Gun." Seriously.

For your sake I'm going to try and estimate my measurements as best as possible so you fall in love with this recipe and make it over and over again to the point where you can cook it blindfolded, backwards, singing "Annie Get Your Gun."

Here goes Yummies, one of my faves…


YOU WILL NEED
1 tray of thin cut boneless pork chops diced into small, bite-sized cubes
1 tube of chorizo (*NOTE: We buy Cacique, it slides right out of the wrapper and doesn't clump like the sausage style chorizo. It really is perfect because it melts right into the stew)
1 large yellow onion diced
1 jalapeño finely chopped with the veins and seeds removed
2 tins of diced tomatoes
1 tin of hominy or posole, depending on where you live :)
1 tin of pinto beans
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chile powder (seems like a lot, I know - go with it)
2 tsp cumin (seems like a lot, I know - go with it)
1/2 tsp salt, pepper and garlic powder
4 cups of chicken stock

GET COOKIN'

  1. Add the olive oil to the bottom of the pot, let it heat over medium-high heat and the add the diced pork chops, jalapeño and onion.
  2. When the onion has softened and the pork chops have whitened add the chorizo and stir so that the coating on the chorizo begins to melt into the meat and onion mixture.
  3. Strain the tinned tomatoes and hominy and add them to the pot.
  4. I like having soft, squishy pintos in my stew so I add them in at this point too, but if you prefer firmer beans you can wait to add them until 10 minutes before you remove your stew from the heat.
  5. Once all of the meat and veggies have been added prep your seasoning in a separate bowl.
  6. Mix all of the spices together first, then add them to the pot with the meat and veggies. I find this makes for a nicer, more cohesive introduction of all the flavors.
  7. Stir the mixture so the spices coat all of the ingredients evenly.
  8. Now add your chicken stock. Allow it to fill the pot then reduce your heat to low and let simmer for 30-40 minutes.
  9. Serve with a fresh cilantro garnish and a warm buttery tortilla. Amazing!


You can also make this in a crock pot if you wish. I promise you this dish is even more delicious as a leftover a day or two later. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Enjoy!








Tagged: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment