Our Yumologists decided the best way to celebrate the arrival of fall and the departure of Oktoberfest was with beer, brats and buds. Better yet, a beer tasting event for those buds, wherein they can sample numerous brews and share their preferences with the world…or at least those of you who read Yumology.
With so many excellent fall beers to choose from Yumology decided to narrow the sampling down to pumpkin beers only. This way we could really do our homework and be as focused on the results as possible.
During the event six pumpkin beers were sampled. Each participant noted what they liked or disliked about each beer, then ranked their selections accordingly. The following is a list of preferred pumpkin beers and the comments that were made in helping our friends decide which pumpkin beer was the pick of the patch:
FIRST PLACE: The winning beer at tonight's tasting event was O'Fallon Pumpkin Beer. Comments included…
- Very strong cinnamon flavor, like pumpkin pie.
- Lots of pumpkin spice.
- Very pumpkinny and fuzzy.
- Really good!
- Tastes like snickerdoodles.
- Very spice heavy flavor.
- Lighter and thinner than the others.
SECOND PLACE: Comments for Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin Ale included…
- Nice pumpkin flavor. Smooth, not harsh.
- Crisp, with a fresh pumpkin taste.
- Orangey and bitter.
- Fruity and refreshing.
THIRD PLACE: Comments for Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat included…
- Least amount of pumpkin flavor. Heavier.
- Fruity with a faint pumpkin taste
- No pumpkin flavor.
- Not much flavor at all, seemed watered down.
- Heavy wheat with little orange fuzziness.
FOURTH PLACE: Comments for Saranac Pumpkin Ale included…
- Good pumpkin flavor but a little harsher than the rest.
- Oakey, gruff and smokey.
- Little heavier flavor than the others.
- No pumpkin flavor.
- Light pumpkin taste at first, followed by skunk aftertaste.
FIFTH PLACE: There was a slight controversy over the placing of Hoppin Frog's Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale since a select few in the group placed it as their winning beer, although many others had it low on their list of favorites. Apparently this beer can take you to extremes and people will either love it or hate it. Comments included…
- Spicy, sweet, amazing, great flavor.
- Nutmeg and sweet like pumpkin pie.
- Strong, heavy aftertaste.
- Not good. Little pumpkin flavor. Thick and dark.
- Very sweet and very thick.
SIXTH PLACE: Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale came in last with many strong reactions to it's flavor. Comments included…
- Can't taste the pumpkin. Harsh, dark, bitter.
- Meaty heaviness and harsh aftertaste.
- Just NO!
- Sweet but heavy.
- Harsh aftertaste.
So there you have it Yumologists, your pumpkin beer selection process just got easier. We hope you'll share some of your favorite pumpkin beer recommendations with us, especially if we weren't able to include them in our sampling.
Many thanks to those Yumologists who participated in the beer tasting and offered up their comments for this post.