The recipe below comes from New York City's magnificent Magnolia Bakery. Known best for their cupcakes, Magnolia recently released a cookbook with some of their best kept secrets inside; this blueberry coffee cake is one of them!
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
2/3 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 325
- Spray a cake pan with non-stick spray
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat together the oil, sugar and two eggs for 3 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient in three stages alternating between the milk and the vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed until smooth.
- If using fresh blueberries toss them in a small amount of flour and fold them into the dough. If using frozen bluberries, thaw and drain the excess water from them first before tossing them in a light coating of flour and folding into the dough.
- Add the cake mix to the pan and bake for 60 mins.
Remove, let cool and top with Yumology's blueberry topping:
2 cups of blueberries
2 cups of confectioners sugar
- This works best with frozen blueberries because the excess juice contributes to the icing.
- Thaw the bluberries and mix the berries and juice with the sugar until mixture thickens into a thin icing consistency.
- Top the cake with the icing and watch the juices seep into the top layer of the cake.