2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
2/3 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of mashed ripe bananas (approx. 3 bananas that have turned brown)
1/4 cup of skim milk
1/4 cup of strong coffee
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
6 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all of the topping ingredients into a food processor and pulse until pea sized crumbs appear.
- In one bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- In another bowl combine the butter and sugar and blend until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat. Add the bananas and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Slowly combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture. Alternate in one part banana mixture, then add the milk, add another part banana mixture, then add the coffee, add the final part of the banana mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan and a large baking dish.
- Top with the streusel crumbs and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Serve warm and buttered with a hot cup of tea and a snug blanket. Perfectly cozy for an early fall morning.